- Job Offers
- PhD student position in experimental determination of RNA-protein complex structures
PhD student position in experimental determination of RNA-protein complex structures
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering
We are looking for a junior scientist, interested in experimental structural biology combined with molecular modeling, and motivated to develop a career in an interdisciplinary and international team.
The project "Integrative modeling and structure determination of RNA-protein complexes” (PI: prof. Janusz Bujnicki) is carried out as the MAESTRO 2017/26/A/NZ1/01083 grant of the Polish National Science Center, funded for 5 years. The PhD student will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying with the rules for granting scholarships for young scientists in research projects funded by the National Science Centre (NCN Council Resolution No. 96/2016 dated. October 27, 2016 r.), with the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers
The main goals of the grant are: 1) Development of a software package for modeling of RNA, proteins and their complexes (based on our methods PyRy3D and SimRNA/SimRNP), and 2) Experimental analyses (including structure determination with a variety of biochemical and biophysical techniques, e.g., crystallography, SAXS, AFM, cryoEM) combined with computational modeling, to determine structures for macromolecular complexes.
As a PhD student: You will be involved in experimental analyses of RNA, protein, and RNP 3D structures using various biochemical and biophysical techniques. You will collaborate with other researchers (theoreticians and experimentalists) within the team, in the institute, as well as with international partners. This project is for junior scientists interested in studying structures of biological macromolecules with various experimental methods and in interdisciplinary work that involves computational modeling based on experimental data.
• MSc degree (or equivalent) in biology, chemistry or related area - defended before the start of the work on the project and the first year of PhD studies (October 2018).
• Eligibility for PhD studies in Poland under the supervision of prof. Bujnicki
• Documented experience in biochemical and/or biophysical analyses of protein and/or nucleic acid structures. Experience in macromolecular crystallography, SAXS, AFM, cryoEM, biochemical probing of RNA structure and other related techniques will be advantageous.
• Experience in bioinformatics is not essential, but knowledge of structure modeling tools will be advantageous.
• Proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative attitude
• Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project and to the profile of the laboratory.
• PhD fellowship 4000 PLN/month,
• Appointment starting October 2018, fellowship guaranteed for 4 years
• Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
• Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
• Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport programme
How to apply:
• We will collect applications until July 31st 2018.
• In the subject include "PhD-MAESTRO-RNPstructure" and your first and last name.
• Your application must be in English and should contain a CV, a motivation letter (What is your scientific dream and how do you want to fulfill it? What are your key strengths? Why do you want to work with us?), a description of your key achievements, and contacts to at least two potential referees, including at least one direct supervisor
• Please include the following statement in your application: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” CVs, cover letters and all statements must be dated and signed by hand.
• Best candidate(s) may be given additional questions and tasks before the final interview.
• The competition may be repeated until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw. Full information is available under the link https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/pl/information-clause