- Job Offers
- PhD Student position
PhD Student position
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering at the International Institute for Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, headed by Prof. Janusz M. Bujnicki is looking for a PhD student, interested in software development, bioinformatics, molecular simulations and modeling, motivated to develop a career in an interdisciplinary and international team.
The project “A coarse-grained method for RNA 3D structure modeling, with emphasis on non-canonical base pairing" (PI: dr. Michal Boniecki) is carried out as the OPUS 2016/23/B/ST6/03433 grant of the Polish National Science Center. The PhD student will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying the rules for granting scholarships for young scientists in research projects funded by the National Science Centre (NCN Council Resolution No. 96/2016 dated. October 27, 2016 r.). The goal of the project is to further develop SimRNA, which is now one of the best methods for 3D RNA structure prediction and simulations, in the field. We intend to improve the prediction of non-canonical base-pairs, and to improve the overall specificity. Additional tasks include RNA 3D structure prediction with additional restraints and setting up a web server. We provide opportunities for interdisciplinary collaborations within the team, in the institute, as well as with international partners.
The PhD student will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying the rules for granting scholarships for young scientists in research projects funded by the National Science Centre (NCN Council Resolution No. 96/2016 dated October 27, 2016 r.) and the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/institute/hr-excellence
We are hosted by IIMCB (http://iimcb.gov.pl), the top-ranked (A+) Polish research institute in biology, with cutting-edge equipment and facilities, in particular for bioinformatics, experimental molecular and structural biology.
· MSc in computer science, physics, chemistry or related area (defended before the start of the work on the project)
· Eligibility for PhD studies in Poland
· Documented experience in programming/designing in C/C++ and/or Python
· Understanding issues of 3D geometry, derivation of statistical potentials, running simulations, working in Linux
· Proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative attitude
· Experience in bioinformatics, molecular modeling etc. is advantageous, but not essential.
· Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project and to the profile of the laboratory
· PhD fellowship 3000 PLN/month
· Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
· Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
· Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport programme
Deadline for applications is November 19th, 2018. Job starting date is December, 2018.
How to apply:
· In the subject include "PhD-SimRNA-devel" and your first and last name.
· Your application must be in English and should contain a CV, a motivation letter (What are your key strengths? Why do you want to work with us? Your scientific dream?) preferably in one pdf file, below 5 MB, a description of your key achievements, and contacts to at least two potential referees, including at least one direct supervisor.
· Please include the following statement in your application: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw. Full information is available under the link https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/pl/information-clause
· The competition may be extended until a suitable candidate who fulfils all requirements is found.