- Job Offers
- PhD Student Position
PhD Student Position
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering
You will join the project entitled “Development of new methods for designing RNA molecules that fold into desired spatial structures and their use for the development of new functional RNAs and for prediction of noncoding RNAs in transcriptome sequences", which is carried out as the OPUS 2017/25/B/NZ2/01294 grant of the Polish National Science Center. The main goal of the OPUS project is to develop and test in practice a new method for designing RNA molecules that form desired structures and carry out desired functions. The project provides opportunities for extensive interdisciplinary collaborations within the team and in the institute (e.g. with software developers, molecular modelers, and experimentalists), as well as external collaborations with academia and industry. It is also possible to combine experimental work with the bioinformatics software development and computational design/modeling of RNA 3D structures.
The PhD student will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying the rules for granting scholarships for young scientists in research projects funded by the National Science Centre (NCN Council Resolution No. 96/2016 dated October 27, 2016 r.) and the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/institute/hr-excellence.
The laboratory is located in the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw (www.iimcb.gov.pl) – one of the top ranked (A+) Polish research institutes, that provides stimulating and interdisciplinary research environment and opportunities of the large biomedical campus. Research topics at IIMCB cover the wide area of structural biology, bioinformatics, computer modeling, molecular and cell biology, neurobiology, cancer biology, and developmental genomics (zebrafish model). The Institute is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, has excellent core facilities and supportive administration. IIMCB benefits from numerous generous funding schemes for basic research through grants from international and national sources www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/research/grants).
• Master’s degree (or equivalent) in life sciences or related area (defended before contract starting date)
• Eligibility for PhD studies in Poland under the supervision of prof. Bujnicki
• Documented experience in biochemistry, structural biology, synthetic biology or nucleic acid chemistry
• Very good written and oral communication skills in English
• A proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative attitude
• Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project and to the profile of the laboratory.
• Full-time PhD scholarship until April 2nd, 2021 (with the possibility of extension)
• 3500 PLN of full stipend cost per month
• Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
• Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport programme
• Full technical, administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
• Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
Deadline for applications is December 11th, 2018. Job starting date is as soon as possible.
How to apply:
• In the subject include "PhD-OPUS-RNA structure" and your first and last name.
• Your application must be submitted in English and should contain a CV, a motivation letter, a description of your key achievements, and contact to at least two potential referees, including one of your supervisors.
• Please include the following statement in your application:
“I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.”
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw. Full information is available under the link https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/pl/information-clause
• The competition may be extended until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found.