- Job Offers
- PhD Student Position
PhD Student Position
Laboratory of Protein Structure
Laboratory of Protein Structure at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, headed by Marcin Nowotny, is looking for a PhD student. We are looking for a person motivated to develop a career in an interdisciplinary and international team studying the mechanisms of DNA repair. As a PhD Student you will be involved in production of protein using different expression systems, purification of proteins, crystallization and structure determination by crystallography and/or cryo-EM.
You will join the project entitled “Structural and mechanistic studies of bacterial DNA repair”, which is carried out as the MAESTRO 2017/26/A/NZ1/01098 grant of the Polish National Science Center. The main goal of this project is to understand how the DNA repair occurs in bacteria at the level of single atoms. Laboratory of Protein Structure focuses on structural and biochemical studies of nucleic acid enzymes using protein crystallography and cryo-electron microscopy as a primary methods (https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/research/laboratories/6-laboratory-of-protein-structure-nowotny-laboratory#tab2).
The PhD student will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying the rules for granting scholarships for young scientists in research projects funded by the National Science Centre (NCN Council Resolution No. 96/2016 dated October 27, 2016 r.) and the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/institute/hr-excellence.
The laboratory is located in the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw (www.iimcb.gov.pl) – one of the top-ranked (A+) Polish research institutes, that provides stimulating and interdisciplinary research environment and opportunities of the large biomedical campus. Research topics at IIMCB cover the wide area of structural biology, bioinformatics, computer modeling, molecular and cell biology, neurobiology, cancer biology, and developmental genomics (zebrafish model). The Institute is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, has excellent core facilities and supportive administration. IIMCB benefits from numerous generous funding schemes for basic research through grants from international and national sources www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/research/grants.
• Master’s degree (or equivalent) in life sciences or related area (defended before contract starting date)
• Eligibility for PhD studies in Poland under the supervision of prof. Marcin Nowotny
• Documented laboratory experience in at least one of the following disciplines: biochemistry, structural biology, molecular biology
• Very good written and oral communication skills in English
• A proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative attitude
• Full-time PhD scholarship for 4 years
• 4 000 PLN of full fellowship cost per month
• Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
• Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membershipin MultiSport programme
• Full technical, administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
• Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
Deadline for applications is January 2nd, 2019. Job starting date is March 2019.
How to apply:
• In the subject include "PhD student_MAESTRO LSB " and your first and last name.
• Your application must be submitted in English and should contain a CV, a motivation letter, a description of your key achievements, and contact to your MSc Supervisor.
• Please include the following statement in your application: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw.
Full information is available under the link https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/pl/information-clause
The competition may be extended until a suitable candidate who fulfils all requirements is found.