- Job Offers
- PhD Student
Laboratory of Zebrafish Developmental Genomics
Laboratory of Zebrafish Developmental Genomics at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, headed by dr. Cecilia Lanny Winata is looking for a PhD student, interested in genomics and developmental biology.
You will join the project entitled “Shedding new light on genome's dark matter: identification of novel long non-coding RNAs in zebrafish" (PI: dr. Barbara Uszczyńska-Ratajczak), which is carried out as the OPUS 2018/31/B/NZ2/01940 grant of the Polish National Science Center. The goal of the project is to understand which lncRNAs are functional and how those functions are kept in the genome. We plan: (1) to build high-quality lncRNA annotation from a panel of biomedically relevant adult and embryonic tissues in zebrafish; (2) identify functional lncRNAs in these tissue types based on evolutionary conservation across human, mouse, and zebrafish; and (3) to perform functional studies of selected lncRNA candidates through in vivo loss of function assay in zebrafish embryos.
The PhD student will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying the rules for granting scholarships for young scientists in research projects funded by the National Science Centre (NCN Council Resolution No. 96/2016 dated October 27, 2016 r.) and the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/institute/hr-excellence.
The laboratory is located in the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw (www.iimcb.gov.pl) – one of the top-ranked (A+) Polish research institutes, that provides stimulating and interdisciplinary research environment and opportunities of the large biomedical campus. Research topics at IIMCB cover the wide area of structural biology, bioinformatics, computer modeling, molecular and cell biology, neurobiology, cancer biology, and developmental genomics (zebrafish model). The Institute is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, has excellent core facilities and supportive administration. IIMCB benefits from numerous generous funding schemes for basic research through grants from international and national sources www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/research/grants).
• MSc degree (or equivalent) in biology or biochemistry, or related area (defended before the start of the work on the project).
• Eligibility for PhD studies in Poland.
• A proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, a collaborative attitude.
• Experience in basic molecular biology and/or biochemistry techniques.
• Priority will be given to candidates with experience in working with animal models (mouse or zebrafish).
• Have very good written and oral communication in English.
• Enjoy working in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment.
• Full-time PhD scholarship until September 30th, 2022
• Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
• Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport programme
• Full technical, administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
• Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
Deadline for applications is June 21st, 2019. Job starting date is 1st of October, 2019.
How to apply:
• In the subject include "PhD-OPUS-IncRNA" and your first and last name.
• Your application must be submitted in English and should contain a CV, a motivation letter, a description of your key achievements, and contacts to at least two potential referees, including one of your supervisors.
• Please include the following statement in your application: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw.
Full information is available under the link https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/pl/information-clause.
The competition may be extended until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found.