- Job Offers
- PhD student position
PhD student position
Laboratory of Iron Homeostasis
Laboratory of Iron Homeostasis at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, headed by Dr. Katarzyna Mleczko - Sanecka, is looking for PhD student.
You will join the project entitled “Deciphering novel mechanisms that control iron sensing and iron accumulation in the liver”, which is carried out as the OPUS 2018/31/B/NZ4/03676 grant of the Polish National Science Centre. The project provides a unique opportunity to develop cutting-edge cell-based and in vivo (mouse) methodologies to better understand still elusive molecular mechanisms that sense iron levels in the body. Specifically, we aim to elucidate how iron signals regulate bone morphogenetic protein 6 (BMP6), a key iron-sensing cytokine produced by the liver sinusoidal endothelial cells (LSECs).
As a PhD student you will comprehensively study the regulatory mechanisms that control Bmp6 in LSECs, you will characterize the process of intercellular communication between LSECs and hepatocytes that may be critical for the Bmp6 transcriptional control, and you will test our key findings in primary cells and in mice.
The PhD student will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying the rules for granting scholarships for young scientists in research projects funded by the National Science Centre (NCN Council Resolution No. 96/2016 dated October 27, 2016) and the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/institute/hr-excellence
The laboratory is located in the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw (www.iimcb.gov.pl) – one of the top-ranked (A+) Polish research institutes, that provides stimulating and interdisciplinary research environment and opportunities of the large biomedical campus. Research topics at IIMCB cover the wide area of structural biology, bioinformatics, computer modeling, molecular and cell biology, neurobiology, cancer biology, and developmental genomics (zebrafish model). The Institute is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, has excellent core facilities and supportive administration. IIMCB benefits from numerous generous funding schemes for basic research through grants from international and national sources www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/research/grants).
Requirements for the candidate:
1. Holds a Master's degree in biology, biotechnology, medicine or related field.
2. Eligibility for PhD studies in Poland.
3. Has good knowledge of molecular and cell biology.
4. Has strong interests in iron biology, motivation for experimental work, passion for science.
5. Gathered hands-on experience in laboratory work, including basic molecular biology techniques and cell culture.
6. Prior experience with mouse/rat-based studies would be a plus.
7. Research achievements (manuscripts in preparation/review or publications will be of advantage but not obligatory).
8. Is proficient in spoken and written English.
9. Shows readiness to learn new skills and take challenges, has the ability to work independently and think analytically.
10. Has good communication skills.
11. Mobility and research experience abroad will be of advantage but not mandatory.
12. Successes in applying for funding would be a plus.
1. Full-time PhD scholarship for three years in amount of 4500 PLN/month.
2. Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations).
3. Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport programme.
4. Full technical, administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel.
5. Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring.
Deadline for applications is July 7th, 2019. Job starting date is October 1st 2019.
How to apply:
- In the subject include "PhD student_LIH" and your first and last name.
- Your application must be submitted in English and should contain a CV, a motivation letter, a description of your key achievements, and contact details at least two potential referees, including one of your supervisors
- Please include the following statement in your application: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw.
Full information is available under the link https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/pl/information-clause
The competition may be extended until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found.