- Job Offers
- Postdoctoral researcher position
Postdoctoral researcher position
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering
Deadline for applications is November 30th, 2020.
The position is available to be filled starting from January 1st, 2021 or as soon as possible.
We are now looking for a postdoctoral researcher experienced in protein biochemistry and structural biology, interested in macromolecular structure determination and analysis of interactions with many experimental methods.
The proposed research project is focused on the structural and mechanistic analyses of RNA-protein complexes, in particular in humans and in viruses. We are using X-ray crystallography, SAXS, and cryoEM, and we are developing new approaches to determine RNP structures with the combined use of experimental methods and computational modeling.
This position is ideal for you if you have solid experience in experimental analyses of protein structure, and if you wish to learn new techniques of integrative structural biology, in particular concerning protein-nucleic acid interactions.
We encourage applications from candidates at any stage of their post-doctoral career, in particular from those interested in submitting their own fellowship/grant applications and in training towards scientific independence (next stage: junior group leader elsewhere) or growing towards a position of a senior scientist within our organization (long-term cooperation, involvement in multiple projects, supervision of junior scientists). You are expected to take a lead and apply for fellowship/grant funding within the first year of your employment, with a project that combines the area of our interest (RNA-protein interactions, structures and mechanisms) with your own ideas. The work will be carried out in collaboration with other group members, so we need a person who likes teamwork and knows how to synergize (also when teamwork means communicating with some collaborators online).
The team: Our group http://genesilico.pl is highly interdisciplinary and international. We combine various approaches for studying the structures and mechanisms of biological macromolecules, in particular RNA and macromolecular complexes involving nucleic acids, proteins, and small molecules. Our key strength is in the integration of various types of theoretical and experimental analyses. We use approaches such as chemical probing, crystallography, cryo-EM and SAXS to characterize the structures and functions of RNAs & RNPs. On the other hand, we develop and use computer programs for data analyses, in particular for modeling based on heterogeneous, low-resolution, and noisy experimental data. Examples of our methods include SimRNA, ModeRNA, NPDock. We also use theoretical predictions to guide macromolecular design and engineering.
• Full-time contract (“umowa o pracę”), guaranteed for at least one year, with a possible extension depending on performance
• Salary starting at ~7600 PLN/month of total gross remuneration, expected initial net salary at ~6000 PLN/month,
with social security. Additional 13th salary after working a minimum of six months in a given calendar year
• Benefits including reduced rate for an individual medical care package
• Scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
• Administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
• Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations, apart from supervision of junior researchers)
• Appointment available as soon as possible
• Ph.D. in biology, chemistry, physics or related area
• Strong publication record, including at least one first-author publication in a very good journal.
• Documented extensive experience in biochemical/biophysical analyses of proteins (and preferably also protein-nucleic acids complexes), including at least one (and preferably most) of the following techniques:
1) protein expression, purification and characterization, 2) analyses of macromolecular structure and dynamics, and protein-ligand (ideally protein-nucleic acid) interactions by spectroscopic techniques and calorimetry,
3) macromolecular crystallization and X-ray crystallography, 4) cryo-EM and/or AFM of proteins and protein-nucleic acid complexes, 5) macromolecular structure determination from experimental data
• Expertise and competence in designing and carrying out scientific experiments and in interpreting their results
• Experience in writing manuscripts for publication, and fellowship or grant proposals
• Vision of your professional growth within ~5 years, including the capacity to apply for fellowship/grant funding within the first year of your employment, with projects that synergize the core strengths of the team with your own ideas
• Proactive approach to achieving objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative and adaptive attitude
• Very good organizational skills, especially project and time management skills
• Very good command of English (written and oral communication)
Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project and to our laboratory, who are familiar with our work and who can convincingly explain why their expertise is a good fit for our requirements.
The Postdoctoral Researcher will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/institute/hr-excellence
How to apply:
• In the subject of the message include "postdoc-protein-RNA" and your first and last name
• Your application must be submitted in English and should contain: 1) a CV, 2) a cover letter including a short description of your key achievements and explicit responses to the following questions: What are your scientific interests and how do they relate to requirements of the position offered? What are your key strengths? What do you know about our laboratory and why do you want to work with us?, 3) contacts to at least two potential referees, including your M.Sc. or Ph.D. supervisor. At this stage, please do not attach copies of diplomas, etc.
• Please include the following statement in your application: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw. Full information is available under the link https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/pl/information-clause
• Best candidate(s) may be given additional questions and tasks as a part of the recruitment process
• The competition may be extended or repeated until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found