- Job Offers
- Postdoctoral researcher
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering
Postdoctoral researcher position. Structural biology of RNA molecules with posttranscriptional modifications.
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, headed by Prof. Janusz M. Bujnicki, offers a position for a Postdoctoral Researcher motivated to develop a career in an interdisciplinary and international team.
Deadline for applications is February 14th, 2021. The preferred job starting date is June 1st, 2021.
As a postdoctoral researcher, you will be involved in interdisciplinary experimental analyses of RNA structure.
You will join the new project entitled “Unraveling the influence of posttranscriptional modifications on RNA 3D structure formation and its dynamics, with the integrated use of theoretical and experimental approaches” carried out as the OPUS grant of the Polish National Science Centre (UMO-2020/37/B/NZ2/02456).
As a postdoctoral researcher you will use biochemical and biophysical methods, including chemical probing and X-ray crystallography, to study the structure of RNA molecules, and to determine the influence of posttranscriptional modifications on RNA folding, its ability to form alternative 3D structures, and interactions with other molecules. The project will be carried out by an interdisciplinary team of researchers, including computer programmers, researchers specializing in computer simulations and data analysis, and biochemists who analyze RNA molecules experimentally.
The team: Our group http://genesilico.pl is highly interdisciplinary and international. We combine various approaches for studying the structures and mechanisms of biological macromolecules, in particular RNA and macromolecular complexes involving nucleic acids, proteins, and small molecules. We use experimental approaches such as chemical probing, crystallography, cryo-EM and SAXS to characterize the structures and functions of RNAs and their complexes with other molecules. We also develop and use computer programs for data analyses, in particular for modeling based on heterogeneous, low-resolution, and noisy experimental data. Examples of our methods include SimRNA and ModeRNA, and the MODOMICS database. We also use theoretical predictions to guide macromolecular design and engineering. Our recent analyses include 3D structure modeling of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus RNA.
This position is ideal for you if you have solid experience in experimental analyses of RNA structure and/or detection and characterization of RNA modifications, and if you wish to learn new techniques of integrative structural biology, including experimental research and computational modeling. You are expected to have a strong publication record, including at least one first-author publication in a very good international peer-reviewed journal. The work will be carried out in collaboration with other group members, so we need a person who likes to work in a group. We encourage applications from candidates with a Ph.D. obtained in 2014 or later.
- Full-time contract (“umowa o pracę”) for 36 months
- Gross salary about 7600 PLN/month, expected initial net salary at ~6000 PLN/month, with social security. Additional 13th salary after working a minimum of six months in a given calendar year
- Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in the MultiSport program
- Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
- Administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
- Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
- Appointment available starting June 1st 2021, earlier appointment may be negotiated
- Ph.D. in any relevant area (e.g., biology, chemistry, etc.), defended no more than 7 years before the start of the contract (according to the rules of the funding agency)
- Fulfillment of formal criteria of the competition in particular section 2.1.1: https://bit.ly/391rL6a
- Documented extensive experience in biochemical/biophysical analyses of macromolecular structure and interactions, including at least one of the following techniques: 1) macromolecular crystallization and X-ray crystallography, 2) experimental detection of modified residues in RNA, 3) analyses of macromolecular structure, dynamics and interactions by spectroscopic techniques and calorimetry, 4) atomic force microscopy of proteins and/or nucleic acids, 5) RNA structure analysis by chemical or enzymatic probing.
- Expertise and competence in designing and carrying out scientific experiments and in interpreting their results
- Experience in writing manuscripts for publication and in scientific presentations
- Proactive approach to achieving objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative and adaptive attitude
- Very good organizational skills, especially project and time management skills
- Very good command of English (written and oral communication) and presentation skills
Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project and to the profile of the laboratory, who are familiar with our work and who can convincingly explain why their expertise is a good fit for our requirements. The Postdoctoral Researcher will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://bit.ly/393ONsX
How to apply:
- In the subject of the message include "postdoc-OPUS-RNAmods-structure" and your first and last name
- Your application must be submitted in English and should contain: 1) a CV, 2) a cover letter including a short description of your key achievements and explicit responses to the following questions: What are your scientific interests and how do they relate to requirements of the position offered? What are your key strengths? What do you know about our laboratory and why do you want to work with us?, 3) contacts to at least two potential referees, including your Ph.D. supervisor. At this stage, please do not attach copies of diplomas, etc.
- Please include the following statement in your application: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw. Full information is available under the link https://bit.ly/2XXdWPQ
- Best candidate(s) may be given additional questions and tasks as a part of the recruitment process
- The competition may be extended or repeated until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found