On 3-5 February, the 21st plenary meeting of the European Commission's Chief Scientific Advisors was held at the IIMCB. IIMCB is the third institute in Europe, after the Francis Crick Institute, European Organization for Nuclear Research, which had the honour of hosting the Advisors. This group is made up of prominent scientists from various fields of science, whose main objective is to develop independent opinions in the area of political issues, where the highest level of scientific advice is needed.
Among the Advisors are:
- Rolf - Dieter Heuer –Chair, Former Director-General of the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN)
- Pearl Dykstra – Deputy Chair, Professor of Sociology, Erasmus University Rotterdam
- Janusz Bujnicki – Professor, Head of the Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering, International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Warsaw
- Elvira Fortunato – Professor, Materials Science Department of the Faculty of Science and Technology, NOVA University, Lisbon
- Nicole Grobert – Professor of Nanomaterials at the Department of Materials in the University of Oxford
- Carina Keskitalo – Professor, Department of Geography and Economic History
- Sir Paul Nurse – Director of the Francis Crick Institute
Scientific advice in the field of politics and the interaction of the world of science and politics were the subject of the symposium of the Group of Main Scientific Advisors of the European Commission, which was organized by Polish Academy of Sciences, on February 4. The meeting was coordinated by prof. Janusz Bujnicki - head of the Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw.The meeting was also attended by representatives of the Polish government: Jarosław Gowin, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Science and Higher Education, Michał Kurtyka, Minister of Climate and deputy ministers from the Ministry of Science - Anna Budzanowska and Grzegorz Wrochna.
Photos: „Scientific advice for evidence-informed policy-making”, Polish Academy of Sciences, 4/02/20: https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/press-office/news/pictures/1086-scientific-advice-in-politics
Photos from the meeting at the Institute: https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/press-office/news/pictures/1088-scientific-advice-in-politics-3