- Ogłoszenia o pracę
- PhD student position in computational design of RNA molecules with new 3D structures
PhD student position in computational design of RNA molecules with new 3D structures
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering
The project “Development of new methods for designing RNA molecules that fold into desired spatial structures and their use for development of new functional RNAs and for prediction of noncoding RNAs in transcriptome sequences" (PI: prof. Janusz Bujnicki) is carried out as the OPUS 2017/25/B/NZ2/01294 grant of the Polish National Science Center. The PhD student will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying the rules for granting scholarships for young scientists in research projects funded by the National Science Centre (NCN Council Resolution No. 96/2016 dated. October 27, 2016 r.)
The goal of the project is to develop and test in practice a new method for designing RNA molecules with programmed structures and functions. You will be involved in collaborative work on software development (coding in C/C++ and in Python) and in computational design/modeling of RNA 3D structures. We provide opportunities for interdisciplinary collaborations within the team, in the institute (with software developers, molecular modelers, and experimentalists), as well as with international partners.
• MSc degree (or equivalent) in one of the fields: computer science, physics, molecular biology, chemistry or related area (defended before the start of the work on the project).
• Eligibility for PhD studies in Poland under the supervision of prof. Bujnicki.
• Documented experience in programming (preferably Python and/or C/C++). However, knowledge of Python or C/C++ is not mandatory, and experience with other programming languages will also be considered, but the candidate must be willing to learn C/C++.
• A proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative attitude.
• Experience in bioinformatics, molecular modeling, data analysis etc. is advantageous, but not essential.
• Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project and to the profile of the laboratory.
• PhD fellowship 3500 PLN/month,
• Appointment starting between April and October 2018, funding guaranteed initially for 3 years, possible extension
• Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
• Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
• Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport programme
How to apply:
• We will collect applications until May 31st 2018
• In the subject include "PhD-OPUS-RNAbioinfo" and your first and last name.
• Your application must be in English and should contain a CV, a motivation letter (What is your scientific dream and how do you want to fulfill it? What are your key strengths? Why do you want to work with us?), a description of your key achievements, and contacts to at least two potential referees, including at least one direct supervisor.
• Please include the following statement in your application: "I hereby give consent for my personal data included in my application to be processed for the purposes of the recruitment process under the Personal Data Protection Act as of 29 August 1997, consolidated text: Journal of Laws 2016, item 922 as amended.”
• Best candidate(s) may be given additional questions and tasks before the final interview.
• The competition may be extended until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found.
Informujemy, że konkurs na stanowisko doktoranta stypendysty w projekcie pt. „Opracowanie nowych metod projektowania cząsteczek RNA o zadanej strukturze oraz zastosowanie ich do konstruowania nowych funkcjonalności RNA oraz przewidywania niekodujących RNA w sekwencjach transkryptomów" (2017/25/B/NZ2/01294) został rozstrzygnięty, wybranym kandydatką jest pani Promita Bose.