- Ogłoszenia o pracę
- PhD student position in integrative modeling of RNA, protein, and RNP complex 3D structures
PhD student position in integrative modeling of RNA, protein, and RNP complex 3D structures
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering
We are looking for a junior scientist, interested in bioinformatics, molecular modeling and design, possibly in software development, and motivated to develop a career in an interdisciplinary and international team.
The project "Integrative modeling and structure determination of RNA-protein complexes” (PI: prof. Janusz Bujnicki) is carried out as the MAESTRO 2017/26/A/NZ1/01083 grant of the Polish National Science Center, funded for 5 years. The PhD student will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying with the rules for granting scholarships for young scientists in research projects funded by the National Science Centre (NCN Council Resolution No. 96/2016 dated. October 27, 2016 r.), with the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
The main goals of the grant are: 1) Development of a software package for modeling of RNA, proteins and their complexes (based on our methods PyRy3D and SimRNA/SimRNP), and 2) Experimental analyses (including structure determination with a variety of biochemical and biophysical techniques, e.g., crystallography, SAXS, AFM, cryoEM) combined with computational modeling, to determine structures for macromolecular complexes.
As a PhD student: You will be involved in computational modeling of RNA, protein, and RNP 3D structures and you may be involved in the development of bioinformatics software (coding in C/C++ and in Python). You will collaborate with other researchers (software developers, molecular modelers, and experimentalists) within the team, in the institute, as well as with international partners. This project is for junior scientists interested in the practical use of bioinformatics methods with experimental data and may be combined with software development.
• MSc degree (or equivalent) in computer science, physics, biology, chemistry or related area - defended before the start of the work on the project and the first year of PhD studies (October 2018).
• Eligibility for PhD studies in Poland under the supervision of prof. Bujnicki
• Documented experience in bioinformatics and molecular modeling. Experience with 3D structure prediction (proteins, RNA), molecular docking, molecular dynamics etc. will be advantageous.
• Documented experience in programming is not essential, but at least the basics of coding and willing to learn Python and C/C++ will be advantageous. We also encourage programmers willing to learn modeling.
• Proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative attitude
• Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project and to the profile of the laboratory.
• PhD fellowship 4000 PLN/month,
• Appointment starting October 2018, fellowship guaranteed for 4 years
• Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
• Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
• Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport programme
How to apply:
• We will collect applications until May 31st 2018 .
• In the subject include "PhD-MAESTRO-RNPmodeling" and your first and last name.
• Your application must be in English and should contain a CV, a motivation letter (What is your scientific dream and how do you want to fulfill it? What are your key strengths? Why do you want to work with us?), a description of your key achievements, and contacts to at least two potential referees, including at least one direct supervisor.
• Please include the following statement in your application: "I hereby give consent for my personal data included in my application to be processed for the purposes of the recruitment process under the Personal Data Protection Act as of 29 August 1997, consolidated text: Journal of Laws 2016, item 922 as amended.”
• Best candidate(s) may be given additional questions and tasks before the final interview.
• The competition may be repeated until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found.
Informujemy, że konkurs na stanowisko doktoranta stypendysty w projekcie pt. „Integratywne modelowanie i ustalanie struktur kompleksów makromolekularnych składających się z RNA i białek” zostal rozstrzygniety, wybraną kandydatką jest pani Iswarya Pandara Nayaka Pandaranadar Jeyeram.