- Ogłoszenia o pracę
- Research assistant position (optional PhD studies) in development of bioinformatics databases and web servers
Research assistant position (optional PhD studies) in development of bioinformatics databases and web servers
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering
We are looking for a junior scientist, interested in bioinformatics, in particular in combination of data analyses with development of web servers and databases.
This position is intended for 4 years and can include (optionally) studies towards a PhD degree.
As a research assistant you will be involved in several projects that combine data analyses with development of web tools: servers and databases.
Your key project will be the continued development of MODOMICS http://modomics.genesilico.pl/ and its expansion. In particular, while MODOMICS is currently restricted to RNA modifications, you will expand it to include DNA modification pathways and possibly also posttranslational protein modifications. The work will include data gathering, comparative bioinformatics analyses, and development of the database as well as its web interface.
You will be also involved in other projects, in particular in collaboration with other researchers in the lab you will develop web servers for various algorithms developed in the group. For existing examples check out SimRNAweb https://genesilico.pl/SimRNAweb/ and RNArchitecture http://genesilico.pl/genesilico.pl/RNArchitecture.
We particularly encourage applications from candidates who enjoy working on extraction of information about various proteins and RNAs from scientific literature, and interested in combining bioinformatics analyses with the development of bioinformatics web services. The work will be carried out in collaboration with other members of the group, so we need a person with excellent communication skills.
This position is envisaged for 4 years. Candidates have an option to declare at the beginning of the project that they wish to be recruited for a PhD study, if they are interested and eligible.
The research assistant will be selected in an open competition, according to the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
• BSc degree (or equivalent) in biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, or related area.
• MSc degree (or equivalent) is essential for candidates interested in pursuing a PhD study
• Documented experience in bioinformatics analyses, preferably on sequences, structures and pathways
• Documented experience in computer programming. Preferably experience in database and web server development, and knowledge of Python
• Proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative attitude
• Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project and to the profile of the laboratory.
• 3500 PLN/month, which can be funded in either of two variants:
1) a contract for specific work (umowa o dzielo) 3000 PLN per month (net)
2) if the candidate is recruited for PhD studies: PhD fellowship 3500 PLN/month (tax-free)
• Appointment starting October 2018, funding guaranteed for 4 years
• Position with 100% focus on research and development (no teaching)
• Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
• Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport programme • PhD studies offer additional benefits
How to apply:
• We will collect applications until June 15th 2018
• In the subject include "Genesilico-databases" and your first and last name.
• Your application must be in English and should contain a CV, a motivation letter (What is your scientific dream and how do you want to fulfill it? What are your key strengths? Why do you want to work with us?), a description of your key achievements, and contacts to at least two potential referees, including at least one direct supervisor.
• Please include the following statement in your application: "I hereby give consent for my personal data included in my application to be processed for the purposes of the recruitment process under the Personal Data Protection Act as of 29 August 1997, consolidated text: Journal of Laws 2016, item 922 as amended.”
• Best candidate(s) may be given additional questions and tasks before the final interview.
• The competition may be repeated until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found.