- Ogłoszenia o pracę
- Research Technician Position: biochemistry and structural biology of RNA-ligand interactions
Research Technician Position: biochemistry and structural biology of RNA-ligand interactions
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, headed by Prof. Janusz M. Bujnicki, offers a position for a Research Technician motivated to develop a career in an interdisciplinary and international team.
Deadline for applications is May 15th, 2019. Preferred job starting date is June 1st, 2019 (as soon as possible).
Project description: Ribonucleic acid (RNA) molecules play pivotal roles in living organisms. Their functions are often modulated by interactions with other molecules. Examples of RNA molecules regulated by small chemical molecules include riboswitches in bacteria and regulatory elements in viruses. The goal of this project (funded by the FNP “TEAM” grant) is to study the mechanism of action of shape-shifting RNAs, solve their 3D structures, and understand how the interactions with small molecule ligands influence their function. Ultimately, we will identify small chemical molecules that can block the function of regulatory RNAs and can serve as a starting point for the development of antibacterial and antiviral drugs. As a Research Technician, you will be fully involved in research activities, from experiment design to the interpretation of results, and co-authoring scientific publications. You will be expected to master a wide range of techniques including RNA expression and purification, structural analyses (such as biochemical probing, X-ray crystallography and structure analyses in solution), and analyzing RNA-ligand interactions with various biochemical and biophysical techniques. You will also be involved in various house-keeping activities (including ordering supplies, maintaining stocks, taking care of documentation, etc.) and in the training of junior scientists.
The team: Our group genesilico.pl is highly interdisciplinary and international. We combine various approaches for studying the structures and mechanisms of action of biological macromolecules, in particular RNA, as well as macromolecular complexes involving nucleic acids, proteins, and small molecules.
Our key strength is in the integration of various types of theoretical and experimental analyses. On the one hand, we use biochemical and biophysical approaches to characterize the structures and functions of our target molecules experimentally. On the other hand, we develop and use computer programs for data analyses, in particular for modeling based on heterogeneous, low-resolution, and noisy experimental data. We also use theoretical predictions to guide knowledge-based design and engineering of molecules with new structures and functions.
This position is ideal for individuals who enjoy learning and implementing new methods, have excellent self- and time management skills, and who are comfortable with multitasking and being involved in multiple analyses in parallel. Researchers who love contributing to teamwork, can combine precision and fast work, have excellent communication skills, and are highly adaptive, will have many prospects to make it a big success.
The TEAM project provides opportunities for extensive interdisciplinary collaborations within the team and in the institute (e.g., with software developers, molecular modelers, and experimentalists), as well as international collaborations with academia and industry. You will have access to modern equipment and support from other experienced researchers.
- Full-time contract (“umowa o pracę”), funded from the TEAM grant initially until 30/09/2020, with intended extension beyond this project
- 8000 PLN of full remuneration cost, i.e., expected net salary at ~4500 PLN/month, with social security
- Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in the MultiSport program
- Administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
We require from candidates for this position:
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in biochemistry, molecular biology or related discipline
- Documented extensive experience in biochemical/biophysical analyses of biomacromolecules, in particular in studies of macromolecule-ligand interactions or in macromolecular structural biology
- Expertise and technical competence in designing and carrying out scientific experiments and in interpreting their results
- Proactive approach to achieving objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative attitude
- Very good command of English (written and oral communication)
- Good command of Polish will be advantageous, but it is not required. Candidates who do not speak Polish will be expected to learn it to the level necessary to communicate with Polish sale representatives
Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project and to the profile of the laboratory, who are familiar with our work and who can convincingly explain why their expertise is a good fit for our requirements.The Research Technician will be selected from candidates in an open competition, according to the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/institute/hr-excellence
How to apply:
- In the subject include "TEAM-technician" and your first and last name.
- Your application must be submitted in English and should contain: 1) a CV, 2) a cover letter including a short description of your key achievements and explicit responses to the following questions: What are your scientific interests and how do they relate to requirements of the position offered? What are your key strengths? What do you know about our laboratory and why do you want to work with us?, 3) contacts to at least two potential referees, including your M.Sc. (or Ph.D.) supervisor. At this stage, please do not attach copies of diplomas, etc.
- Please include the following statement in your application: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw.
Full information is available under the link https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/pl/information-clause
- The competition may be extended or repeated until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found.
We would like to inform that the competition for Research Technician position in the project entitled „Modeling of dynamic interactions between RNA and small molecules and its practical applications” has been resolved, the selected candidate is Katarzyna Merdas.